Monday, November 8, 2010

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is taught to families through prophets. Joy comes through a home centered in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.......week 16

Dear My Wonderful Family,

Good to hear that everything is going well. I send my best wishes across the miles and thank you for all of your prayers in my behalf and for all the missionaries across the world. They are felt and through them we come in contact with those who are truly seeking the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Before I forget, I took out a bit of money from the checking account to buy a sweater and possibly a pancho in the next few weeks. I gets a bit chilly in the nights here. Just a heads up.

Well, where to start. We are working really hard with our investigators to be able to get them to church. We have had our ups and downs according to the responses of different investigators during different days. It is really funny actually. We had a lesson with Elaine and Oliver about marriage and going to church on Sunday. When they told us that they wanted to be married we were so excited. We have an appointment with them if I’m not mistaken this Saturday to be married. We are hoping and praying for their continual success. We have a baptism for one of our investigators this Saturday named Gisele and we cannot wait. She went to church with her mom yesterday and loved it. It is during these moments that we are just up in the clouds. Those that have such an energy and desire to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives truly emit to those around them.

Funny things this week. Well, I have to confess that I have never eaten so much bread in my life. The bread here is called pan dulce and it is the greatest thing in the whole world. I have tried different kinds but of everything I have tried, this morning with an authentic churro was by far the most angelic. The best part is that pan dulce costs more or less 25 cents. So good.

With our work, we are working hard to involve the members but it has been hard the past couple of weeks because there have been a bunch of conferences and special programs which don´t give us much time. Nevertheless we are plugging along and loving every ¨buenas tardes¨.

Something really struck me this week. It is about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. One simple truth that makes all the difference in the world is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is taught to families through prophets. This principle alone sets the stage for every truth and blessing of the Gospel. When we understand this model of teaching from God, everything makes perfect sense. How do learn of God? Through the words of the prophets found in scriptures as well the words that they speak to us in our time. Our understanding of God is through the prophets. Where would we be without prophets? There goes the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible. Try to draw near to God without prophets. You can´t and it is exactly for this reason that there is so much confusion and so many churches in the world. The pride of man too and his inability to hearken to the voices of the prophets. It is with this understanding that I am moved every time I have the opportunity to say that ¨my name is Elder Russell. I am a representative of Jesus Christ who has been called by a living prophet. We are here to share a very important message about how we can be happy.¨ The prophets are the guides for us in our lives. I know that without the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the prophet Joseph Smith, I would not know of the true character of God and His plan for all mankind. It is through a prophet that I know anything about God. It is with this thought that I give my immense gratitude to the scriptures and the prophets.

I know that this is truly the Church of Jesus Christ in our times. We are not Mormons, we are not worshippers of Joseph Smith, we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ. We honor and respect the prophets of God as they direct us in what we need to do in our lives. But first and foremost, we believe in God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I know that they live. We are guided by means of a living prophet today Thomas S. Monson who has the authority of God to lead and guide us. I know it and it is my grand priviledge to declare it. May we always hearken to the words of the prophets as they will never lead us astray.

Enjoy every moment of every day family. Know of my love and utmost gratitude for a home with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is my grand priviledge to invite others to do the same. Remember that man is that he may have joy. This joy is through a home centered in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. May we continue to cherish the miracle of every day is my prayer.

Love,
Elder Russell