Sunday, November 28, 2010

Engaging ourselves in the work.......week 19

The baptism of Guadalupe and Fabiola.

Dear Family,
I am glad to hear of your holiday adventures and as always, thanks for your stories, photos, and testimonies. I hope you realize that you have and continually influence lives here in Mexico and I believe it fair to say in Nicaragua as well. Thank you for being you family. I give my thanks for the Gospel in which we have as well as the wonderful family which He has blessed me. May you continue to be blessed as you go unto the Lord and rely upon Him.

This week, where to begin. Each week goes by faster and faster as we are engaging ourselves in this work. Each day brings its challenges and rewards which test, prove, joy, and bless. This week we had the baptisms of Guadalupe and Fabiola. They are stellar people who have already demonstrated that they are going to be amazing members of the church. I have thought a lot this week about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the importance of this work. I have thought of our baptisms to this point. Each has a story in particular which we are so grateful to be a part. However, I have thought a lot about helping the souls of men. Through the baptisms that we have had, we have felt in a grand degree the love of God for these people. When I allow these feelings to penetrate my soul, I find that I have so much still to learn and do. There is success as well as times of joy. Something that I read from I believe Elder M. Russell Ballard really impacted me. He said something along the lines of ¨I am going to tell you a secret about the work within the church as well as in the family. Many of you have already discovered it. It is that there is no such thing as I have completed my work.

There is never a time in our families nor in our service in the church that we can say that there is nothing more we could do.¨ This has struck me deeply. There is no limit to the excellence of our lives. Particularly with our families and our service in the church, there is nothing as ¨complete¨. As long as there are people are walking this earth, the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will go forward. It will go forward until the Lord says that the work is done. It is my testimony that we are here in this world to have joy and prepare to live with God.

I believe central to that joy is missionary work as it is put into practice through the family. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. As we come into the holiday season, may we think more poignantly about the relationships with our families and those who desperately need to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray for opportunities to share the Gospel and go forward and open your mouths. Give the greatest gift this holiday session by your testimony to anyone who needs to hear it. May the Lord bless you all in your efforts. I love you family and know that I am so proud to wear your name each day.

Love,
Elder Russell