Monday, January 3, 2011

Forget Ourselves and Serve.......week 23

The baptism of Alfredo and Angelica


The Liahona cover photo

My Dear Family,

As is always the case, it is good to hear from you. Its good to hear that there are still many projects to be done. I still haven't received the second package but don't worry, it will come. Two of the pictures are of the baptism of Alfredo and Angelica. The other is my personal cover to the Liahona. News years here is just like Christmas, two or three days to drink as much alcohol as possible. Don't worry, we enjoyed a few days to eat with some members.

This week was a week very powerful for me. I learned a great deal about what missionary work is really about. This week Elder Campos and I have focused really hard on service to others. We have helped anybody and everybody with anything they need. I have thought a lot about service and I was taught something very powerful. Everything we do in the church and for the world is motivated by love. This love makes us forget ourselves and serve. Within this love there is the desire to share the Gospel with others. As such, this past week as well as the week to come, we have are looking for as many opportunities as we can to serve our fellow man. I love the principle that Jesus Christ came into the world with many purposes, one of which was establish His church with missionary work. To bring about this work, He gave the priesthood or the power and authority to act in the name of God to ordinary men. Christ set the perfect example as He walked the streets healing the sick and bringing comfort to afflicted. He took upon himself the form of a servant. Should we not follow the example that He set? It has become something that we have implemented here and something that I have set goals to better develop.

I know that our Heavenly Father lives. I know that Jesus Christ in reality gave His life for the sins of the world and provided us a way so that we could be happy and return to live with God. I realize more and more each and every day that with everything that God has given us, we should forget ourselves and serve. I have never found more happiness than that which I am able to do every day: serve and teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I send my best wishes to the family and pray for your continued success. May we renew our faith in Christ to do the things that we should and live the lives that will bring us happiness and eternal life. It is my prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love,
Elder Sean Russell