Monday, April 18, 2011

Put First Things First........week 38

My dear family,

It sounds like the family is plugging along in all aspects. I am very thankful to hear that Clayton is doing well. Tell the family to keep up the good work. The Lord always blesses us when we do what He asks of us. Like it is mentioned in 3 Nephi 13:31-33, put the first things first and the rest will come. I am a living witness of it. I believe that we are going to have a conference in the middle of May. If you would like to send something, I believe that I will receive it in time. And about the calls for Mothers Day, I am not sure. I will let you know when we know.

Where do we begin. First off, the Lord touched my heart strings this week. We passed another round of changes and I am still here in Amilcingo. I am very relieved. We have some here that we need at least 6 more weeks to complete. This week has been a week filled with new direction in our work. The Lord spares little time in instructing those who are willing to do His work. In these past few weeks the Lord has taught me a very powerful principle. The Church of Jesus Christ and His Gospel are perfect. A few weeks ago we tried to organize and plan what we could do to change the efficiency of the work (yes, I am my fathers son :) ). We prayed, studied, discussed ideas, and in the end, the Lord taught us that He has already told us what we need to do. I loved the talk of one of the General Authorities about 6 months ago. He was in a conference with another general authority and this man asked a few questions at the general authority who came. Each time, the authority responded, great question, lets see what the manual says. This example penetrated my heart these past few weeks. When we have a problem in our minds or we don't know how to proceed, let us read the manual.

The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and contains the FULLNESS OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. I was humbled to more fully recognize that God already knows. He has already given us the Gospel of Jesus Christ and His Church. What we lack is nothing more than to do what He has already said. I absolutely love this Gospel. There is no doubt nor problem that the Gospel of Jesus Christ cannot solve. It is true. If we believe that we have thought of a problem or a doubt that God has not already resolved, we are seriously mistaken.

Along with this lesson, we have been very humbled by the doctrine of unity. As it is written in DC 38:27, if we are not one, we are not of God. This has everything to do with us. I love what is written in Alma 16:15-16. Read it and ponder about what the Lord did after there was the missionary work, the establishment of the Church, and unity in the Church. It has been our work these past few weeks to obtain the sames blessings as these missionaries of old received. I know that we can obtain them if we are willing to put in our part.

May the Lord continue to bless you my dear family as you seek to do His will. Let us see the commandments of God as the ways which we have to show our love for God and for His children. We cannot say that we love someone without showing that love. The way which we can show our love for God is through His commandments. It is my testimony that we live in the blessed days to have the Priesthood of God once again in the earth. The eternal Gospel of Jesus Christ is taught in its simplicity with the correct commandments and ordinances to prepare us to live with God again. I know that Christ is the Head of the His Church and leads and guides His Church through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. We are guided in these days through revelation. May we better realize how great it is to live in this day. It is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Love,
Elder Russell