Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 5, 2010 MTC....... week 11

VIVA MEXICO!

My exceptional, wonderful, amazing family,
Thank you for being so fantastic. I mimic Elder Russell's (the older) words about how conference always helps me realize how much I have truly been given. I am so blessed to have been raised in a home where there was so much appreciation, respect, love, and devotion to the Gospel. I truly appreciate it.

So notes real quick, I purchased a backpack here which has worked rather well for me. It has a side strap that I can use if I find carrying it on my back is a nuisance. I received the package and thank you so much for it.

Well family, I want to title this email "Viva Mexico!" I am extremely excited to announce that Elder Russell has received his visa and is heading to Cuernavaca on Monday. I went to the Consulate yesterday, the travel office received my visa, and gave me my travel plans today. Elder Egan and I leave Monday morning with the 9 other Cuernavaca missionaries. I still can't believe it. We are going to Mexico. President Spannaus sent me an email with a talk that he asked us to study as companions. It is amazing. It seems so surreal. Before I forget, I can call for a 5 minutes before Monday. It doesn't matter to me when I call but please send me a Dear Elder sometime this week so I can know when to call as I will be checking my next email in Mexico. I'll give my parents the courtesy this time of being informed when a missionary is calling (enjoy the laughs mom).

So, with every moment of this work, it is a constant learning curve. All of my personal studies and lessons in classes brought such a perspective to General Conference. General Conference in turn brought tremendous perspective to this week and the talk that President Spannaus sent us. I feel so propelled from everything. It is progression and each and every day brings so much more to our lives. This past week was so powerful for me because I felt more and more that I was getting to where the Lord needed me to be before I left for Cuernavaca. I know that His timing is not mine but even with the minor perspective that I have of my mission thus far, I know that He is ever aware of what is going on. I cannot wait to share what I know to be true with the people of Mexico in the coolest language in the world. I love these people so much. The advanced district that came in are such great Elders who are going to be amazing missionaries. Elder Egan and I have enjoyed every moment to speak with them and practice. Oh, and Elder Egan said that it is his cousin that served in Russia. It's a small world.

Well family, I need to be running. But I want to let you know that I am immensely grateful for your dedication to the Gospel and your family. With the little that I do know, I know enough to say that my parents knew it. I don't know a lot, but I know enough. I know that we are literally children of our Heavenly Father who loves us. He gives us families and prophets to help lead and guide us. The Book of Mormon is true and His Gospel is in the earth today. I know it without doubt. If there is anyone who is reading this who is thinking about this message, I pray that you act upon it. Find out for yourself. I know it is true. And if anyone is considering whether to serve a mission or no, do it. It has changed everything.

love,
Elder Russell