Monday, March 21, 2011

We have to decide what is important & what is not ...our personal wake up call.....week 34

Dear Family,

Ahh, the Russell Family. There is never a moment in which we find ourselves stopped. There is work to do. I love to hear that everything is going well with you all. There will always be an endless list of projects to do but enjoy the opportunity that we have to decide what is important and that which is not. It has been a lesson very important for me the past few weeks. We can fill all of our time doing things for others when in reality, its not our responsibility. I have learned a lot about true service. We are willing to do whatever the Lord asks us to do but in our ward here we are really focusing in the basics and the authority in the Church. Elders, can you pass by the house to give me a blessing? Yes Sister so and so, we can. Have you already called your home teachers? OR Elders, I feel like a everything is going crazy in my life, can you help me? Yes Brother so and so, but have you asked help from God? When is the last time you have read your scriptures? It is within these situations that I learn so much about how the Lord works with us.

These past few weeks Elder Pineda and I have been working really hard with our ward here. I appreciate very much your compliment mom about the service that Ammon rendered to King Lamoni. It is a principle very true. I have seen miracles in the feelings of the members of this ward towards the missionary work. I have seen our Bishop who at first was a bit skeptical towards us but now is willing to help us in whatever we need. As those around us know who we really are and the work which we are trying to bring about, hearts are softened.

I would like to relate one of the reasons why I believe that I remain in this area. The Lord knows His children and what each and every one of them needs. A few weeks ago we visited with a family called the family Cantu. This family is one of the families best known in this ward. They are members who have not attended the Church in 10 years. They have past for very hard times and forgot what their own covenants meant to them. But we had the opportunity to visit with them in these past weeks. This week, we are planning the baptism of two of their daughters and we are going to start teaching the son-in-law. The ward, seeing what the Lord has done for this family and their faith, has realized in a very strong way the importance of this work. The past few weeks have been our personal wake up calls. I love how the Lord doesn't spare much time in teach His children. It comes fast!

The Cantu family: two sisters baptized

Each and every day I thank my Father in Heaven for the opportunity to teach the principles of His Gospel. I find myself awed and immensely blessed to feel of His Spirit. To see the lives as they change when the truth is understood is one of the most magnificent blessing that I have had in my life. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the church of God with the authority to teach and perform the ordinances of His Gospel. I know that it is true because I have read, meditated, and prayed to God concerning the evidence of such statements. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and as such I know that we are guided by a living Prophet, Thomas S. Monson. It is my simple testimony and my simple faith. I know that God is a loving Heavenly Father and is willing and waiting to answer our questions. He teaches us what we should do in this life to be happy and obtain eternal life. Let us do what He asks. We will be ever blessed in doing so.

Love,
Elder Russell