Monday, October 3, 2011

"I've got your back"........week 62

My dear family,

Wow, where do we begin. What a spiritual feast this weekend. We have had a lot of changes and a lot of improvement. This was the last week for Elder Zepeda, we had Counsel for the Zone Leaders, General Conference, baptisms, and changes in the mission. We have been working a bunch. I have a new companion called Elder Smith. I knew him from Cuautla, an excellent missionary. I am very excited to see what the Lord has to teach me through him. I would like to share a few experiences from this week that have really impacted me.

This week we didn't have much time to hit the road but we left to work Tuesday in the morning. We went to a place that we had never been to and we began to speak with the people. We didn't feel that we were having much success in this place and we thought that we should look for another place to work. However, we felt that there was someone who we needed to find in this place. As we continued talking to people, nobody seemed to show much interest. We felt that we should go down a certain street. As we went down this street, there were two houses. We went to the first and nothing. As we looked at the last house, we thought to ourselves, one more and we are going somewhere else. As we talked to these people, we found a wonderful family of 3 which the parents went to church to see General Conference. This is a very humble family. They don't have phones nor do they have reception in this part of Acapulco. We couldn't communicate with them to be able to go to church with them. And in this part, it costs a lot of money to go up there and return. To be able to go to church would be a very great sacrifice. But they did it. From a public phone, they called us to tell us that they would be there at 11:00 to see the prophet speak. I was astonished by their faith. They taught me a great lesson about the importance of the Spirit in this work.

I love being a missionary. I see how the Lord teaches me line upon line and precept upon precept. I love it because when the Lord gives me a piece of comprehension, I have the opportunity to apply it and thus gain wisdom. When this process occurs, I feel that I can do anything with the help of the Lord. As I demonstrate to Him that what He will give me, I will do it, I am blessed with more. In such a way, the Lord can prepare me to do better His work.

Today I had a rather miraculous experience. Today was the last day in the mission for my companion Elder Zepeda. As we woke up this morning, I noted a certain sadness in my companion. The first words that he spoke were these. "Today I am the most miserable man in the world." I was shocked by his comment. But I sat pondering about it. It was the last day that he had to be a missionary. He felt it. Wow, a heart ripper for sure. I gave my thanks to God for another day to be His servant. I am so grateful for this priviledge to be a missionary of the Lord Jesus Christ. He lives. You are all His children. He loves you. He has given us a plan so that we can return to live with him. As we understand it, we are filled with understanding, comfort, and purpose. I know that it is the truth because God has made it known to my heart and my mind. For which, I cannot say nothing rather than the truth.

This General Conference, I felt a very special connection with the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ. I felt very strongly that they were not people so distant but fellow workers in His vineyard. I felt that it truly was a conference for the workers of the Lord. I learned so very much. I would like to comment on something rather special for me in this General Conference. Elder Jose Alonso of the Seventy gave a taught about going to the rescue of those who are lost. I was rather moved by his talk. He is from Cuautla. His father lives in Amilcingo. My companion and I had the privilege to help activate this faithful servant of the Lord. He told us in our visits, "Elders, I know that the church is true. I always knew it. I had been looking for a way to come back for a long time. I thank God that you came to visit me." As Elder Alonso spoke, I felt as if I was saying to him, "Don't worry Elder Alonso, I got your back :) ". Alongside the talks of Elder Ballard, President Monson, Eyring, Uchtdorf, Elder Packer, Holland in Priesthood and many others, I felt very much this comment, ´Dont worry President / Elder _____, I got your back. You can count on me.¨

As Abraham Lincoln says, Everything that I am and every hope to be I owe to my angel mother. I will change it a bit. For everything that I am and ever hope to be I owe to my dear family who taught me the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Thank you. I owe it all to you.

Love,
Elder Russell