Monday, January 30, 2012

"I cannot be what I was yesterday, because He has asked me to be better than I was yesterday" ........week 79



Juan and Veronica's Marriage and Baptism

Dear family,

We had a great week this week. Juan and Veronica were married this past Thursday and were baptized Saturday. They are great. Juan is so cool. We showed up at his house a few weeks ago and we told him, ¨Hey, don't drink alcohol and stop drinking coffee.¨ From that day he hasn't touched a drop. He told me, ¨Elder Russell, I've been eating a lot of donuts thanks to you.¨ I had to laugh.

We are getting a lot of work done here. It was really funny this Sunday. We finished up our month and we are getting more goals and projects in motion. We were thinking about the converts we have had this past month and how awesome they are. Alejandra who was baptized 3 weeks ago showed up at church with a smile so big that I couldn't help but smile back. Being a missionary is the best!

I am learning more and more everyday. I am surprised in how the Lord takes something that I have read or thought about for months and in this situation and this time is the answer to my prayers. It is truly extraordinary. As we work in the vineyard of the Lord we are shaped. Of that I have no doubt.

I really don´t have anything miraculous to say rather that life is amazing. I am blessed each and every day. I feel that I have so much that I need to learn and do. As I strive to understand more through a diligent study of the scriptures and as that study brings repentance in my life, I find deep joy and satisfaction. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the source of our happiness. I am certain of that. Each day here is a lesson for life. I feel each day a great blessing that comes from the Gospel. I feel a greater responsibly and therefore a greater blessing. And in this way He works. I feel that I cannot be what I was yesterday because He has asked me to be better than I was yesterday. I can't do or be what i thought I should do or be. It's what He wants.

God lives. Jesus Christ is our Savior. Joseph Smith was a prophet and Thomas S. Monson is His prophet today. It is my sacred testimony.
Love,
Elder Russell